Balloon Hut | Kahurangi National Park
The Balloon Hut area of the Tablelands has a long history of occupation by Europeans, first the gold miners, then shepherds, and now by trampers. The first hut was built in 1909. This version was constructed in 1963, but was altered in 1995 when the bunk configuration was created, the large verandahs added, etc. Recently the gas heating was replaced by a standard DOC woodburner by the Waimea Tramping Club.
Although the views from the hut site are limited the walk over to Lake Peel are extensive, both into the heart of Kahurangi National Park, and east to the Back of Mt Arthur, the Richmond Range, and down into the Cobb Valley.
category . . . serviced hut
booking . . . not required, first come gets the best bunks basis
hut fee . . . 3 hut tickets or backcountry hut pass, 1 hut ticket to camp
elevation . . . 1260 m
bunks . . . 14
built . . . 1963, renovated and verandah 1995, wood burner and woodshed 2016
heating . . . firebox, woodshed with wood supplied
cooking . . . 4 burner gas stove
water . . . tap above exterior sink on verandah, from 3200 litre rainwater tank
toilet . . . longdrop with hand flush← Sylvester Hut | Kahurangi National Park Cobb River DOC campsite | Kahurangi National Park →